Top line messages
- It is time for a reality check. Canadians/Europeans/Americans deserve the truth about the tar sands, and www.tarsandsrealitycheck.com (oilsandsrealitycheck.com) is where they will find it.
- For the first time, national and international scientists, economists, academics and experts have joined together to compile, peer-review and deliver the facts everyone needs to know about the tar sands.
- This digital marketing campaign counters massive and expensive glossy PR campaigns by government and industry that are misinforming the public and decision makers about the tar sands.
- It’s time to look past the spin. The tar sands are Canada’s fastest growing source of greenhouse gas pollution.
- The tar sands are devastating our climate, land, air, water and communities. They are destroying our hope of a clean and sustainable energy future.
- This campaign, 6 months in the making and signed off on by leading scientists, economists and academics, counters the spin and presents the 25 most important, accurate facts you need to know about the Canadian tar sands. The website describes the impacts of tar sands on our water, land, animals, economy, climate and human rights.
- Groups from Canada, the U.S. and Europe have come to together in a cross-continental effort to present accurate and peer-reviewed facts about the tar sands.
- A movement against the reckless expansion of the tar sands is growing. Until real steps are taken to stop the out of control expansion of the tar sands, opposition is only going to get stronger and louder
- Information is power, and TarSandsRealityCheck.com (oilsandsrealitycheck.com) gives people and decision makers the information they need about the most destructive project on earth.
Issue Specific Messages
We can’t prevent climate change and keep expanding the tar sands. These are not compatible goals. Unless the tar sands are brought under control, Canada and the world will have no hope of keeping global warming below the promised 2 degrees Celsius. And our future of a safe climate will go up in smoke. Read the climate facts at TarSandsRealityCheck.com (Oilsandsrealitycheck.com)
The reckless expansion of the tar sands is poisoning our water and making us sick. Read the facts about Canada’s thirstiest industry at TarSandsRealityCheck.com (oilsandsrealitycheck.com)
The tar sands are polluting our air, far beyond what international regulations say is safe. The impacts are clear. Learn more about the tar sands and air pollution atTarSandsRealityCheck.com (Oilsandsrealitycheck.com)
First Nations are on the front lines of the tar sands. The tar sands have destroyed their land and are making people sick. Unchecked tar sands development affects all of us. Learn how tar sands expansion impacts you at TarSandsRealityCheck.com (Oilsandsrealitycheck.com)
Relying on the tar sands for our economic health is like riding a rollercoaster. What goes up can come down – fast. The tar sands are not nearly as much of an economic driver as government and industry say they are. Out of control expansion of the tar sands puts Canadians and our economy at risk. Find out the economic facts at TarSandsRealityCheck.com (Oilsandsrealitycheck.com)
Land and species
Rapid expansion of the tar sands threatens one of the world’s last great wildlife habitats. It also further endangers species, like the woodland caribou, already facing potential extinction. Damage to the land is extensive and long-lasting. And the restoration or recovery of these spaces will take hundreds, and in some cases thousands of years. Understand the impacts on land and species. Check out TarSandsRealityCheck.com (oilsandsrealitycheck.com)